I like rice pudding. It is warm, comforting and, compared with other pudding options, relatively healthy. I am not fanatical about rice pudding but I seem to be developing a collection of rice pudding recipes. My first was rice pudding with star anise. This second recipe is rice pudding with a vegan twist: it is infused with cardamon and coconut, dairy and sugar free. This recipe is easy to make and yields quite a few portions, enough for a few toddler and adults. Add more milk (coconut, soya or any other) to achieve the consistency you desire.
- 150g pudding rice
- 160ml coconut cream (I used a small tin)
- 2 cardamon pods, split open.
- few drops of vanilla essence
- handful of raisins or sultanas
- Put all of the ingredients in a large pan together with 550ml water. If you like a strong cardamon flavour, like I do, scrap out the seeds directly into the mixture.
- Cover and bring to the boil. Simmer for around 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- The rice should be soft and cooked. Remove cardamon pods and leave to stand, with the lid on, for a few minutes. Serve, adding further coconut milk, milk or water to achieve the desired consistency.