As forced rhubarb starts to come into our shops and markets, I start to make this fruit compote to serve with natural yoghurt. It is pretty (in pink), really really easy to make and so much cheaper that buying those ready made toddler/ baby yoghurts. It always goes down well with the little lady who, if we’re lucky, will pull some great facial expressions as she enjoys the sweet but sharp flavour sensation. A little goes a long way, this recipe yields around 150ml, which will be enough for 9 toddler servings with yoghurt.
- 1 stick of rhubarb, finely chopped
- zest and juice of 2 oranges
- 1 tbsp honey (or more for a sweeter tooth)
- Put all the ingredients into a pan with 100ml water.
- Bring to the boil and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until the rhubarb is cooked, soft and pulpy (see photo below).
- Serve with yoghurt.