These muffins are made with lots of wholesome ingredients: butternut squash, sultanas, pecans, buttermilk and linseed. In combination, you get a delicious little muffin and much goodness. Offer your little trick or treaters a healthy, homemade treat this Halloween!
- 1/2 butternut squash, de-seeded, peeled and chopped into small chunks
- 200g plain flour
- 25g ground linseed
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 100g pecans, chopped to a size edible for small people
- 150g sultanas
- 2 eggs
- 125ml date syrup (or you could probably use dark agave too)
- 125ml sunflower oil
- 125ml buttermilk
- few drops vanilla essence
- Cook the squash by boiling it in water until soft and edible. The time required will vary according to the size of your chunks! Mine took about 10 minutes.
- Combine all the dry ingredients (flour, linseed, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nuts and sultanas) in a bowl.
- Combine all the wet ingredients (egg, syrup, oil, buttermilk and vanilla essence) in a different bowl.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the wet mixture. Stir until all the ingredients are combined.
- Spoon into muffin cases/ oiled tin (filled to the top) and bake at 180C. You can make mini muffins or large buns/ muffins. The mini muffins took 10 minutes and larger buns took 15 minutes.