A sugar free take on the Indian Carrot Halwa, this pudding is a rich and comforting dish. It is packed with lots of good things and a winner with adults and children alike. This yielded 2 adult and 2 toddler portions.
- 3 carrots
- 1 knob of unsalted butter (approx tsp)
- 1 small handful of cashew nuts, chopped up as small as possible
- 1 small handful of sultanas
- 2 cardamon pods
- 250ml whole milk
- 1 tbsp agave syrup
- Finely grate the carrots.
- Melt the butter and add the cashews, sultanas and cardamon. Fry together for a minute until they are nicely coated in the butter.
- Add the carrots and gently cook until they have softened. This takes around 8-10 minutes.
- Add the milk, cover and simmer over a low heat for a further 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add the agave syrup to the pan and simmer for another 5 minutes. When ready, the carrots should be soft and most of the milk absorbed.
- Remove cardamon pods and serve. This is nicest eaten warm but it can also be eaten cold.