This is a rich, creamy and fruity treat. Sweetened with maple syrup and ripe plums, the dish can be served as a pudding or a sweet snack. My daughter isn’t too keen on eggs but would happily eat a lot of this baked custard. The following recipe makes one small dish.
- 1 free range egg
- 1 small tbsp maple syrup
- 1 ripe plum, chopped into small chunks (I used a victoria plum)
- Few drops vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp flour (I used self raising white)
- 75 ml whipping cream
- Butter a baking tin or ceramic dish (around 12-14cm wide). Arrange the plum chunks on the bottom of the dish.
- Whisk the egg with maple syrup.
- Sift in the flour and whisk until smooth.
- Stir in the vanilla essence and cream.
- Pour the custard over the plums. Bake at 180C for 20 (or until a skewer comes out cleanly)
- Once cooked, leave the clafoutis to cool before gently pulling away from the sides and easing out of the dish.