- 200g small brown lentils/ puy lentils, washed
- pinch tumeric
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds.
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon nigella seeds (onion seeds)
- 3 cardamon pods
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- 2 handfuls of raisins or sultanas
- 2 curry leaves
- 1 carrot, chopped into small bits
- Put all ingredients into a pan. No need to crush the seeds and spices (although you can put them in a pestle and mortar to crush them if you desire). Cover with water and bring to the boil.
- Cover with a lid and simmer until the lentils are cooked (from 20 minutes onwards, depending on size of lentils). You may need to add more water as the lentils cook.
- Remove garlic, cardamon pods and curry leaves before serving. Serve the lentils on their own or with rice.