This very berry fruit loaf is my kind of fruit loaf: jam packed with juicy berries, no added sugar or fat, super easy to make and soooo good to eat with a cup of tea. The recipe has a special ingredient which gives the loaf a wonderfully sweet and fruity tang: fruit tea. Yes, indeed. A fruit based, caffeine free infusion (I don’t mean flavoured black tea but those fruit teas that are often bright red in colour and basically bits of dried fruit). Soaking the berries in a hot fruit infusion mean that the dried fruits become plump and juicy and the loaf has a fruity tang. Yum!
Your little people will love this loaf too, satisfying even the most raisin-obsessed toddlers. As the loaf is jam packed with fruit, and with no added sugar or other nasties, you can be happy in the knowledge that you are serving a concentrated natural source of energy, with all the vitamins and minerals that go with dried fruit. This loaf can easily be packed up for a snack on the go and keeps well for a few days. Whilst this selection of dried fruit worked really nicely with the flavours of the fruit infusion, you could use any any combination of dried fruit that you have in your cupboard.
Advance warning: you need to soak the fruits overnight in this recipe!
- 150g raisins
- 150g dried cranberries
- 100g dried blackcurrants (I bought these from my local Turkish supermarket)
- 250ml hot fruit infusion (I used loose fruit berry infusion but a full flavoured fruit tea bag would also work)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 egg
- 225g self raising flour
- Make the hot fruit infusion. Add the honey, stirring so that it melts.
- Measure out the dried fruit into a large bowl. Pour the fruit infusion over the fruit, stir and cover with cling film. Leave overnight so that the fruits absorb the tea and become plump and juicy.
- The next day: mix the egg into the fruit mixture. Stir in the flour, mixing well until everything is combined.
- Line a loaf tin with baking paper. Tip the cake mixture into the loaf tin and smooth over the top. Bake for 50-60 minutes at 180C. The fruit loaf is cooked when it is golden brown in colour and a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the loaf. Share with your loved ones and enjoy with a cup of tea!