Rice pudding is a brilliant dessert- easy to make and full of goodness. There are many recipes available but I like the simplicity of this one and the aromatic and sweet flavour that comes from the star anise. And, of course, there is no added sugar! This recipe makes enough for 3 adults and 1 toddler.
- 150g pudding rice
- 50g sultanas
- 1-2 star anise
- 600-700ml whole milk
- Put the rice, sultanas, star anise (I used 1 whole and a few broken bits), and 300ml milk into a large pan.
- Bring the mixture to the boil, cover with a lid and simmer very gently (so the milk doesn’t boil over) for around 10-15 minutes. Check and stir occasionally so that the rice doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Add another 300ml of the milk, cover with a lid and continue to gently simmer for another 15 minutes. Check and stir occasionally.
- The rice should now almost be cooked. Add more milk if all of the liquid has evaporated. I simmered for another 5 minutes and then left it to stand whilst we were eating our main course. I added a touch more milk to get the desired consistency before serving.
- Remove star anise and serve. We also had some apple compote alongside the rice. This was nice but an optional extra!